Madrid / Hospital Universitario La Paz
Department of Neurology
Hospital Universitario La Paz
Paseo de la Castellana 261
ContactPrinciple Investigator and Medical Director
Prof. Dr. Exuperio Diez Tejedor
Phone: 34 91 727 74 44
Fax: 34 913 581 403
Dr. Blanca Fuentes
Phone: 34 650 583 834
Dr. Patricia Martinez
Phone: 34 699 189 837
Co-Investigator and Radiologist
Dr. Prieto Fernández
Phone: 34 91 727 70 00
Fax: 34 91 727 7027
The Stroke Unit is settled in the Department of Neurology at La Paz University Hospital. It is a 6-bed non intensive acute stroke unit and it is equipped with monitoring facilities for semi-critic care, specifically trained nursing personnel and a physiotherapist is also available daily in the SU for early rehabilitation. Patients stayed in the SU during the acute phase, which is projected to last 2–7 days. If the diagnostic or therapeutic procedures are not completed by that time, patients are transferred to the NW. The Laboratory of Cerebral Ultrasound is close to the Stroke Unit and it is equipped with transcranial Doppler and carotid/vertebral and transcranial duplex.The Team at the Stroke Unit and Laboratory of Cerebral Ultrasound is composed by: Exuperio Díez-Tejedor (Chair of Department of Neurology and Director of the Stroke Unit), Blanca Fuentes (Coordinator of Stroke Unit and Coordinator of stroke research), Manuel Lara (Coordinator of the Laboratory of Cerebral Ultrasound), Patricia Martínez (attendant neurologist with participation in Stroke Unit, laboratory of Cerebral Ultrasound and in stroke research tasks), JessicaDominguez (resident in neurology and with specific stroke training) and M Angeles Ortega Casarrubios (collaboration in stroke research). We collaborate for clinical and investigation issues with stroke-expert neuro-radiologists (Andrés Fernández-Prieto, Remedios Frutos), neurosurgeon (José Roda), cardiologist (Luis Calvo) and Vascular Surgeon (Covadonga Mendieta). Our team has active investigation programs in clinical stroke research mainly focused on the analysis of stroke care models (stroke units, stroke teams, and stroke-care pathways), acute stroke management and secondary prevention, with participation in more than 30 multicenter clinical trials.
The Cerebrovascular Diseases Reseach Study Group at our Neurology Department is completed by the Laboratory for Cerebrovascular Diseases Investigation, also directed by Exuperio Díez Tejedor, and integrated in the I+D program of the University Hospital La Paz with has the participation of several biologists. Our studies in basic stroke research are focused in the analysis of the effects of thrombolytic and neuroprotective drugs in animal models of brain ischemia.
- Morphometric study of focal cerebral ischemia in rats: a stereological evaluation.C. Avendaño; JM Roda; F. Carceller; E.Díez-Tejedor. Brain Res., 1995; 673: 83-92.
- Reduction of infarct size by intra-arterial nimidipine administered on reperfusion in a rat model of partially reversible brain focal ischemia J. Roda; F. Carceller; E. Díez Tejedor; C. Avendaño. Stroke, 1995; 26: 1888-1892.
- Vasospasm/thrombous in cerebral ischemia related to cocaine abuse. N. Martínez; E. Díez Tejedor; A. Frank. Stroke, 1996; 27: 147-148.
- The international Stroke Trial (IST): a randomized trial of aspirim, subcutaneous heparim, both, or neither among 19435 patients with acute ischaemic stroke. International Stroke Trial Collaborative Group. (National Coordinator. Steerimg Comittee). Lancet 1997; 349: 1569-1581.
- Encephalopathy and biopsy-proven cerebrovascular inflammatory changes in cocaine abuser.Diez Tejedor E, Frank A; Gutiérrez M; Barreiro P. European Journal Neurology 1998;5: 103-107.
- Neurology complications of type I Aortic dissection.Blanco M; DiezTejedor E; Larrea J L; Ramirez U. Acta Neurol Scand 1999; 99: 232-235.
- Results in 95 hemorrhagic stroke patients randomized to CLASS, a controlled trial of clomethiazole versus placebo in acute stroke patients. NG Wahlgren; E Diez Tejedor;J Teitelbaum; A Arboix; D Leys; T Ashwod; E Grossman, for theCLASS Study Group. Stroke 2000; 31:82-85.
- Tirilazad Mesylate in Acute Ischaemic Stroke. A sistematic review. Tirilazad International Steering Committee Tirilazad International Steering Committee:P.M.W. Bath; S.Blecic; J. Bogousslavsky; G. Boysen ; S. Davis ; E. Diez-Tejedor; J.M. Ferro; J. Gommans; W. Hacke ; B. Indredavik; B. Norrving ; J.M. Orgogozo; E.B. Ringelstein and M.L. Sacchetti. Stroke 2000; 3: 2257-2265.
- Acute care of brain infarction. Do stroke units make the difference? Díez-Tejedor E, B Fuentes. Cerebrovasc Dis 2001; 11 (S1): 31-39
- Does a relationship exist between carotid stenosis and lacunar infarction? Tejada J, Díez Tejedor E, Hernández-Echevarría L, Balboa O. Stroke 2003; 34:1404-1411.
- Acute care in stroke: the importance of an early intervention to achieve better brain protection. Díez Tejedor E, Fuentes B. Cerebrovasc Dis 2004;17 (S 1): 130-137
- Homeostasis as basis of acute stroke treatment. Stroke units are the key. E. Díez Tejedor; B. Fuentes. Cerebrovascular Dis. 2005; 20 (suppl 2): 129-134
- Consistency or the benefits of stroke units over years of operation. An 8-year effectiveness analysis. Fuentes, Blanca; Díez-Tejedor, Exuperio; Ortega-Casarrubios, M. Angeles; Martínez, Patricia; Lara, Manuel; Frank, Ana. Cerebrovasc Dis 2006;21:173-179
- Effect of combined theraphy with thrombolysis and citicoline in a rat model of embolic stroke. Alonso de Leciñana M, Gutiérrez M, Roda JM, Carceller F, Díez Tejedor E. Journal of the Neurological Sciences 2006; 247:121-129